Dr. Jacob Segil, Ph.D.
Instructor, Engineering Plus; CU-Boulder
Dr. Jacquelyn Sullivan, Ph.D.
Co-Director, Engineering Plus Program & Co-Director, Integrated Teaching and Learning (ITL) Program; CU-Boulder
A Promising Intervention for Promoting Student Equity
In this interactive webinar you will learn:
- Why spatial visualization assessment and training is vital, especially for at-risk women, underrepresented, and international students; and
- How to easily replicate a successful spatial visualization workshop used at the University of Colorado College of Engineering and Applied Science.
WEBINAR: Spatial Visualization: A Promising Intervention for Promoting Student Equity
Recommended Reading List
- Sorby, S. A. and Baartmans, B. J. (2000), The Development and Assessment of a Course for Enhancing the 3-D Spatial Visualization Skills of First Year Engineering Students. Journal of Engineering Education, 89: 301–307. doi: 10.1002/j.2168-9830.2000.tb00529.x
- Metz, Susan Staffin, Donohue, Susan, and Moore, Cherith. (2012) Spatial Skills: A Focus on Gender and Engineering. In B.Bogue & E. Cady (Eds.). Apply Research to Practice (ARP) Resources. Literature Overview Spatial Skills: A Focus on Gender and Engineering
- Segil, J. L., & Myers, B. A., & Sullivan, J. F., & Reamon, D. T. (2015, June), Efficacy of Various Spatial Visualization Implementation Approaches in a First-year Engineering Projects Course Paper presented at 2015 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, Washington. 10.18260/p.23928
- Segil, J. L., Sullivan, J. F., Myers, B. A., Reamon, D. T., & Forbes, M. H., Analysis of Multi-Modal Spatial Visualization Workshop Intervention across Gender, Nationality,and Other Engineering Student Demographics (PRE-PUBLICATION)
Dr. Sheryl Sorby discusses how she got interested in spatial skills, why STEM faculty should care about the spatial skills of their students, and research results on the impact of spatial training.
More resources are available at Engage Engineering
Segil, J. L., & Myers, B. A., & Sullivan, J. F., & Reamon, D. T. (2015, June), Efficacy of Various Spatial Visualization Implementation Approaches in a First-year Engineering Projects Course Paper presented at 2015 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, Washington. 10.18260/p.23928 (link)
Dr. Jacob Segil introduces the Purdue Spatial Visualization test to a class of his students at CU Boulder.